Journey To MaryAlice

Join me as I journey to China to find my daughter, Mary Alice.

Monday, January 19, 2009

Oh No....

She's learned that word that every parent dreads....No! But it sounds so darn cute that's hard not to laugh when she says it. I'm just happy to start hearing her talk more. I guess I'll need to find something else to worry about now.


Here she is doing one of her favorite things. And for some reason, my appetite is now back, so it's one of my favorite things to do as well.



We went to the local Chinese American Association Chinese New Year celebration this past weekend. I've put up some decorations around the house and will attempt to make dumplings this weekend. I'd like to become proficient enough at 3-4 dishes so that next year, I can host a small Chinese Year Celebration. There are some other traditions that I want to incorporate into our celebration such as:
-sweeping the house on the eve of the New Year (sweep the bad luck out)
-Get a haircut (starting the New Year with a fresh start)
-having a bowl full of tangerines, oranges (prosperity and good luck)
-give a red envelope to MaryAlice with money (hongbao=good luck)
Along the way, I'm sure I'll learn more, but a little bit at a time.



I'm sure there was some more stuff I wanted to blog about, but I keep falling asleep, so better call it a night.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kelly And Allison said...

And wear new cloths (prefer red color) and new shoes on Chinese New Year day, throw away old stuff the day before. I am sure there are more.

12:49 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I have started a few of the traditions but I also need to learn to cook a few dishes! MA is just a doll!!

10:19 PM  
Blogger the mommy said...

Sharon I love all the things you are doing and the few that your other commenters added. We are all learning together. MA is doing so great you have nothing to worry about.

hugs
See you Sat.
Susan

7:15 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

Sharon,
Sounds like you have some good ideas for the New Year. MA is just so cute. I love all of her pictures. Especially the tupperware one. Emma loves to play with all of that too.
Kathy

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Beijing, China

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
Free Counters
Free Counters