Journey To MaryAlice

Join me as I journey to China to find my daughter, Mary Alice.

Monday, September 08, 2008

Sightseeing and Damage Control










Don't let the post's title scare you. What I mean by damage control is that this little girl has come out of her shell, is on the brink of discovering the power of her legs and wants to see everything! She is all over the place. She knows that under the desk in the hotel room is off boundaries due to electrical cords, so where does she beeline any chance she gets? She's got a fiesty personality and is not shy about voicing her opinion. Bathtub time is a riot since she keeps wanting to stand up. That wouldn't be such a bad thing (if she were 5) but she's not steady on her feet so its dangerous. Also, diaper changes have become a battle of wills. I guess it's just a part of the learning curve for a new mom and figuring out the tricks of the trade and being quick.

I was going to dress to her up as a ladybug for Halloween, but with the looks of her hairline, I'm thinking along the lines of Eddie Munster.

Today's morning tour tooks us to the Six Banyan Buddist Temple. It was very interesting and we "lucked" out a special ceremony they were performing today. The "blessing" of the sea creatures. They had coolers filled with turtles, fish, prawns, etc. that were blessed and placed back in the Pearl River. By the looks of the river, they're going to need all the blessings they can get.

We stayed in the rest of the day for a nap, playtime and dinner. She had her first "mini-meltdown" with dinner which is unusual. She usually loves her food. We gave her some Tylenol and put some drops in her ears and a bottle. She's sleeping now and mommy needs a shower!! I have congee all over me from trying to feed her dinner.

Tomorrow, the only thing on the schedule is the Red Couch Photo of all the kids in our travel group in their traditional Chinese silks. It's a standard itinerary event for the adoptive families. Having the kids sit on a red velvet couch in The White Swan hotel. There was an American Express commercial that was running about a year ago that flashed different scenes and the announcer stating, "Your life will change". Well, in one of the scenes, it is of a couple with an Asian baby sitting on a red velvet sofa. Most people would not pick up on the significance of the red velvet couch, but I thought it was a sweet commercial.

That's it for today. I'm ready to get home and have a home cooked meal (hint Mom), a fountain soda with ice, getting MaryAlice on a decent nap and feeding schedule and not having to wash bottles out in a bathroom sink. For those of you hooked on blogs for people traveling to adopt, click on the link the Diane's blog under my Favorites. They left today to go pick up their little girl, Bing.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

Hi Sharon, Monica, Marcia, and MaryAlice! I'm glad you all are feeling better and are up to sightseeing again. MaryAlice...Happy Birthday from Precious Panda Aunt Karen! You looked so cute in your birthday hat! You all are only a few days away from coming home now...the end stretch! Keep away from that bad water and hopefully those poor sea creatures will make it!

Karen

10:05 AM  
Blogger The Gang's Momma! said...

Have so enjoyed your travel journal - I'm taking a break right now from my frantic running around and preparing notes for my MIL and loving the pics of your little one. Thanks again for sharing all this and for the travel tips. We're so happy for you.

Leaving Thursday, getting our hands on our girl one week from TODAAAAAAAAYYYYY!

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sharon, aka Mommy!, She is absolutely beautiful. Such expressive eyes. I can't wait to see her in person. Travel safely. God speed and God bless,

Kelley

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary, have really been enjoying your blog which I found via 'Salsa in China'. I am sure that these will all be tips you know but as my son just turned one I a few of your comments really resonated with me. During diaper changes no toy is 'off limits' in other words while I would never let him have my mobile phone it is all good for those few moments while he is 'lying' on the table. Just have to keep an eye if you have a dirty nappy. Oh and I try to have everything ready before I lie him down and sometimes even take off his trousers before lying him down too. Also just in the last week or so he seems to want to feed himself exclusively with no help from us - very messy but he seems happier. Cheers, Neyir

1:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Beijing, China

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
Free Counters
Free Counters