Journey To MaryAlice

Join me as I journey to China to find my daughter, Mary Alice.

Saturday, September 06, 2008

She Turns One!!











She likes cake!!! It took a couple of swipes across her mouth of the icing to figure it out, but once she had a taste she decided it was good stuff! We're lucky to have the photo of her birthday hat on her head bacause she hates anything on her head.

Our whole travel group is now back together in Guangzhou for the final steps of the adoption process. Four of the families flew to different provinces after leaving Beijing to go pick up their kids. It's interesting to hear of their experiences in the different regions. One family went to a fairly remote region and they said they only saw one other caucasian person during their 5 days there. We all had dinner at a traditional Chinese restaurant last night and our guide ordered for everyone. I think the food was good, although, to be honest, I only ate about 4 bites. Between trying to get MaryAlice fed and me feeling the effects of bad Chinese water, I haven't eaten too much. She's making great strides in her fine motor skills and is now able to get the finger foods into her mouth about 50% of the time. She rest is ending up on the floor, so mommy needs to supplement while she practices.

The other photos are of our trip to the jade and pearl markets with a guide Ann of Red Thread China. It was an interesting trip since I was not feeling well and almost passed out. Ann pulled out a potion that my mother would love (think liquid Vick's vapor rub...my mother's cure all!) and started to rub it on my temples and back of my neck. She then told me to rub it around my belly-button which I willingly did since I felt so bad. Who knows, the shop owners could be laughing about it today, "Can you believe that crazy American girl rubbing medicine on her belly-button". Oh well, I'm better today and Marcia and Monica were fabulous in taking care of MaryAlice, completing the purchases and getting me back to hotel. On an interesting note, while in the pearl market store, Monica was drinking some bottled water that we had purchased at the grocery store 3 days prior. Ann tells her that that brand of water is no good and that the government tested the plant and said it was bad. Mystery solved and nothing a little Cipro couldn't fix. Marcia and Monica went back with our group to the pearl and jade markets again today. I stayed back at the hotel with MaryAlice and took her to the clinic at the hotel to check her ears. She's had a little runny nose and I've been giving her a decongestant, but this morning her sneezes her a little more "productive", so I wanted the doctor to look. She said her right ear looked infected (this is through the hotel manager interpreting), so I'm going to start her on the antibiotics. The long trip home will be difficult enough without a baby with an ear infection. She doesn't seem bothered by it and is just a delightful little girl with a feisty personality. She's so funny how quick she imitates hand gestures and sounds. She loves to blow raspberries and make a fish faces. Well, that's it for today's post. I just gave her her first dose of antibiotics. There's a reason I didn't go into pediatric nursing! Any tips for getting the medicine from the syringe into baby's mouth and getting her to swallow before spitting it out??

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday MaryAlice! What a beautiful cake!

Sharon, put the medicine in her mouth and blow in her face. That is what my Mom always told me to do. To be honest I can't remember if it worked. Good luck!

6:49 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Thanks for the tip, Cathy. I'll give it try. I think that's what they say to do for animals too. Can you confirm, Heidi?? Are you back in your house yet?

Sharon

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday MaryAlice! Glad you like cake! :)

Glad you are feeling better Sharon!

7:40 AM  
Blogger Brownie Troop 157 said...

Happy Birthday MaryAlice. So happy you could all celebrate together.

You can put the medicine in her bottle, and she should drink it right down.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Christi and Abbey said...

Happy Birthday Mary Alice!!
Can you let us know the brand of water not to drink? I am always wondering. I usually get c'est bon, just because it sounds so not chinese.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

The brand that Ann said that she drinks is Watson with the bright green lid. It is the same that The White Swan gives two small complimentary bottles each day. Hopefully you can get it at your location, Christie. I don't know the name of the bad one though. It was in a blue bottle which I know isn't much help. She said the same company makes juices too, so to avoid their juices.

Sharon

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happpy Birthday MaryAlice it's a gorgeous cake

I'm so happy for u and I can't wait to see her and u.

My mom and I put her pictures of her for our backround on our computer!

good luck!

I can't wait to see u guys

Love,
Abby

8:15 AM  
Blogger Dannye said...

Happy birthday MaryAlice, what a sweetie pie!

Sharon, how did Alice do negotiating for you guys at the pearl and jade market?

can't wait to see you guys at a waiting families meeting!!

safe trip back home!!

-Dannye (& Ray)
Awaiting Chynna (7/14/06 LID)
www.laydfrog.blogspot.com

8:50 AM  
Blogger Norma said...

Happy Birthday Mary Alice. You look like a Mommy and her baby enjoying each other. How easily we fall in love and it just keeps growing. Put the medicine in the pocket of her cheek and she won't spit it our so readily.

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great little party. Maybe next year she'll wear the hat.
She is so adorable.
I could have told you from her pix that she was out of 12months. Kids are usually bigger than what it says on the clothes. But I had four and eight grandkids.
Love, Rosemary

1:21 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Happy Birthday to MaryAlice! Yes, blowing in their face is one of the suggestions for getting pets to swallow medicine, but it doesn't always work. What worked for me with Caralina was putting a little bit at a time far back in the corner of her mouth, back by her molars, so she couldn't help but swallow it. No, we are not back in our house yet, it will probably be a couple more weeks.:( You and MaryAlice will be home before us!

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! de-lurking to tell you...DONT put it in her bottle. if she decides to refuse, you have wasted it. if she only drinks a little, you have no idea of the dosage she has ingested. squirt it against her cheek, while she is laying back in your arms. its not torture because you are doing it in her best interests. there will be a little leakage so be prepared. and as you bond, trust your mommy instincts. hope you dont get any more "bugs". blessings, and prayers. mrs.k.

9:03 PM  
Blogger wendy said...

What a fun party! Looks like she had a great first one! I love the hat! Sorry everyone is feeling a little under the weather, glad you found out about that water!
We have our 1 month pediatrician visit today. Hope Jake does as well as MaryAlice did at her doctor visit. Not long now and you'll be heading home!

8:04 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Happy Birthday, MaryAlice!! How wonderful you guys were together for her first birthday.

Hugs,
Lori**

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday MaryAlice! How cute is she in that hat?! I'm so glad you got to celebrate her 1st birthday together. Hope you are feeling better and see you both soon!
Love,
KatieB

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Beijing, China

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
Free Counters
Free Counters