Journey To MaryAlice

Join me as I journey to China to find my daughter, Mary Alice.

Thursday, September 04, 2008

More Photos

















Here are more photos for your viewing pleasure. MaryAlice is taking her afternoon nap after a dip in the pool. Monica and Marcia have ventured out in Guangzhou to do some shopping off of the island. Our guide gave them directions on what to tell the taxi driver so they can get back to the hotel. I thought it was a little too much to go out again with the baby and I just wanted to relax with her and play. We went to a park in Guangzhou this morning that was just beautiful. The foliage is very similar to Florida and they were decorating for the Autumn Moon Fesitval Celebration. The Mooncakes are selling like hotcakes everywhere. There is constantly a line in the lobby of our hotel to buy them. Our guide said the hotel sells some of the best ones and they're fairly expensive. I've bought them in Orlando to try (see previous post in September 2006) and I think I'll hold off on purchasing them for now. I haven't quite recovered from my last tasting. I did buy some teacakes in Beijing that were delicious, so we'll see if those make it home.

Tomorrow morning we go for the US Visa Medical Exam and come back to the hotel to do paperwork for the Visa. Our guide said it could take an hour to get through the Visa application. The medical exam consists of height, weight, hearing check (rattle a toy and see if baby looks) and probably just some other cursory stuff. We'll have the afternoon free, so may try to get some shopping done or go for another one of those awesome $10 foot and shoulder massages. We may also go to a tea house for a demonstration on serving tea. I've emailed the woman who sent MaryAlice the care package a month ago at the orphanage to see if she's available on Saturday for shopping. She charges $10/hour for her negotiating sevices at the pearl and jade markets. Our guide arranges a trip there as well for Sunday, but we'd rather go with someone who can assist us in haggling...although Monica is prety good!! The woman's name is Ann at Red Thread China and I received everything back that I had sent to MaryAlice in the care package included the disposable camera that we had developed here. Wait 'til you see the early photos I received of her in the Half The Sky Journal. She had so much hair when she was a week old!!

Well, that's it for now. I appreciate all the well wishes and comments. They're fun to read and it helps us feel connected to home, so I'll keep posting photos, if you keep posting comments. Little Puffin is stirring again, so gotta run..

12 Comments:

Blogger Sandi said...

Sharon,
Love the updates. That picture of her asleep in your arms with her thumb in her mouth is too cute. So glad to see that you guys are able to enjoy your time, do some sightseeing and get to know MaryAlice's homeland.

Keep the updates coming :)

Sandi

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love her smile! The park was beautiful. It's so nice that you can get time to sightsee with her.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Billy and Maggie said...

Hey girl, looks like you are having a great time and of course, MaryAlice is just the cutest!!! Thanks for all the GREAT TIPS!!! I'm definately taking notes!!!

Stephe

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta love the internet! It is so nice to be able to see and read about your experience. She is sooo cute. I can't wait to meet her!

7:25 AM  
Blogger Christi and Abbey said...

She looks fabulous! So healthy!

8:11 AM  
Blogger Christen Halliday said...

Sharon,
MaryAlice is absolutely beautiful! She looks so happy and healthy! I just wanted to let you know how happy I am for you! I really enjoy reading your blogs and looking at the adorable pictures!

Christen Halliday (Cathy Stankiewicz's sister)

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sharon,
Thank you so much for keeping us updated. We check and see what journey's you have taken each day. We are all very happy for you and cannot wait to meet MaryAlice. You look like you are having a blast. See you when you come back.. Jen Wagner

2:59 PM  
Blogger wendy said...

Such fun to see her getting closer to you. And that smile! Made me smile when I looked at it. We loved chatting with you the other night and seeing "Puffin's" thighs. :) Give them a squeeze from us!

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WE HAVE REALLY ENJOYED YOUR TRIP WE LOOK FORWARD TO THE UPDATES ALLDAY. COOPER THINKS HIS NEW GIRLFRIEND IS HUBBA HUBBA BABY!!!!!
COLE THINKS SHE CUTE TOO!!!THANK YOU FOR THE EXTRA PIC. JUST FOR ME.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Can it get any better than this, mommy?

Hugs,
Lori & Andy H

7:53 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

Sharon, can she get any cuter?? I can't take my eyes off her. I just want to squeeze her! :) I love her two little teeth! Thanks for sharing all the photos and how you are doing. Have fun shopping! Is it still hard to believe sometimes that you are in China??,:)

8:52 PM  
Blogger Mistress Rosalee said...

Sharon,
Loving all of the updates and the photos of MaryAlice. She is an absolute doll and it is obvious that she knows you were the Mom that she was destined for.
She is so "on target" with her development, she'll be running circles around every other kid in town.
Elizabeth

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Beijing, China

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
Free Counters
Free Counters