Journey To MaryAlice

Join me as I journey to China to find my daughter, Mary Alice.

Friday, September 05, 2008

She Passes Her First Test!!











We studied before the exam. Rattled a toy on her right side, making sure she turned to the right. Rattled a toy on her left side, making sure she turned to her left. She DID NOT like the throat and ear exam and she let the doctor know!! She's got the grip of steel! Her weight measured in at 22 lbs, but that was with her new shoes and fully clothed. I had to laugh when we walked into the Medical Examination Office for Visa's and there are multiple signs stating, "Keep Quiet". I showed MaryAlice the sign, but she paid no mind and verbalized her dislike of the whole affair. She was treated to a warm bottle and stroller ride with Aunt Marcia, while I completed multiple Visa application forms in our guide's room. By the way, her Visa photo is just the cutest...like another mugshot.

We had lunch at Lucy's and another salad with success. MaryAlice has demonstrated her latest skill...biting her spoon when I'm trying to feed her. In the last update in the Half The Sky journal that I received, it says that she has been a "naughty girl, taking the other children's toys and biting her spoon!" I've gotten better about getting the spoon in and out quickly, but sometimes my aim is bad and it ends up all over her face! She's napping right now after making ten laps around the 9th floor of The White Swan Hotel (in the stroller that is...I'm not that tough...yet!)

After lunch at Lucy's we finally made it to Jordan's shop and shop we did! Monica and I both tried our best haggling, but we could only get him to come down 20%. And that was with him not even being there. It was his sister and she kept having to call him to see if he would take our price because we were buying so much. We laughed afterwards because what Monica bought only came to about $30! I spent a little more but was able to buy about 8 pair of shoes for her ($5-6/pair) and some other things to give her each year when we celebrate "Family Day" on September First, when we became a family. This may also coincide with her birthday, which is tomorrow. I bought things like a Wedding box, tea set, traditional silk dresses, a couple of folk art paintings and other odds and ends. Our travel group is going to go out to dinner together for Dim Sum and have a cake to celebrate. I'm hoping to get a picture of her in her birthday hat, but it make take some work, as she HATES having anything on her head.

Marcia and Monica survived their shopping trip yesterday and that is a whole other post. Marcia bought me back a suitcase that she paid $15 for to tote back my purchases. They had quite an adventure and feel like they've experienced "real China". Tomorrow morning we're meeting Ann to take us to the pearl and jade markets and hope that she can negotiate some good prices for us.

That's it for today's post. Marcia and Monica went back to the Chinese Medicine Shop for another $10 massage. I'm not sure MaryAlice would sit there for an hour and besides she needed a nap.

6 Comments:

Blogger April said...

Wow Sharon,

You have had a day of excitement, shopping and just being tired. I loved Jordan's shop it is one of the best. When we were there Connie and I wanted to go get a massage but never made it, so you are lucky....... I heard it is wonderful. Mary Alice is so adorable, every time my girls see her they say she is so cute. Congratulations on the good doctor report. Love the posts, keep enjoying your trip it really does go by fast.

Love
April

8:10 AM  
Blogger Trudi said...

She is too too too cute. You are blessed!

11:41 AM  
Blogger Tamara's Mommy said...

Hi Sharon,
I picked up your blog from Sandi's. Just wanted to let you know that our 3-1/2 year old daughter who's been state side since 6-7-08 from the Republic of Georgia LOVES your blog as does her Mommy ;o). Since she understands 95% of what we tell her I explained to her how Mary Alice's Mommy is picking her up in China. It's actually helping her understand her own adoption story. Your daughter is beautiful. Enjoy every moment ..it does go so quickly before you know it you'll be home and Mary Alice will be going off to pre-school.. sniff.. sniff. That was today for us.
Congratulations and Welcome to the Mommy Club ;o)

7:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

from the looks of the time where you are it is 9/6/08 Maryalice's first birthday. so sing her that song for us and give her a big kiss. Have a great day!!!!!!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Christi and Abbey said...

Good thing you got to the foot massage before you got Mary Alice. I only made it there once before I got my daughter and never made it back. At three I think she could finally go along.
Glad everything is going so well for you all and that she's healthy!

3:55 AM  
Blogger Brownie Troop 157 said...

What a smart little girl, passing her first test. I well remember breathiing sighs of relief after achieving each important milestone in the process. I love seeing you all looking happier and more relaxed with each other as the days go by.

That Jordan is a character. Give him a hello from us all.

Kind regards,

Carol and Taylor

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Beijing, China

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
Free Counters
Free Counters