Journey To MaryAlice

Join me as I journey to China to find my daughter, Mary Alice.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008

More Pictures and Videos













What a difference a day makes! She has been the best baby! She slept for 12 hours last night and woke up this morning wanting snuggles. We had a terrific lightening and thunder storm last night also, which was freaking Monica out, but MaryAlice slept right through it!! That's my girl!

We did better at breakfast with our plan of action...have food available when you put her in the highchair to prevent meltdown. She had egg, porridge, yogurt and watermelon. After a little morning nap and bath, we then did a little shopping. Susan, we found that "From China with Love" shop and found some beautiful things. I'm sure I'll be going back!

Our excitement for the day occurred on what was to be short bus ride to the passport office. Half way there, our bus got pulled over by the police for delinquent tags! They had set up a "tag trap". We never figured out why they didn't just give him a ticket and let us be on our way, but our guide called in a back-up bus that arrived 30 minutes later and she also called the passport office to let then know we were on our way. I could tell she was a little stressed over this turn of events, but she handled it like Johnny on the Spot and moved to plan "B". The appointment at the passport office took all of 10 minutes. It's hysterical to see us get off the bus on the busy streets in Guangdong. The driver and our guide block traffic so that the scared Americans with Chinese babies can exit the bus safely. Crossing the streets in China is and art form, or more like playing Frogger. I did learn one lesson though...always pack a bottle with a Thermos of hot water and formula packet, even if you think its going to be a short trip!! Luckily I had some juice and crack (I mean Cheerios) for MaryAlice. She was a real trooper in the heat, while being contained in her baby carrier, also known as the infant torture device. She was described on her paperwork as being a "quiet baby", but that is not the case! She babbles all the time and on the trip to the passport office, we sat next to another baby from her orphanage that is 2 weeks older. They babbled and screamed at each other like two old Chinese women haggling over a purchase.

All the babies in our group seem to be attaching and adjusting well. MaryAlice is doing great with her eye contact and had a blast sticking her fingers in my mouth and patting my face. She keeps an eye on me and will start to "tune up" if I walk into the bathroom or out of her sight.

After getting back to the hotel from the passport fiasco, Monica and Marcia brought back some chicken congee for MaryAlice and a salad for me from Lucy's. Lucy's is a well known restaurant among adoptive families that are craving some American food! I know it's a little risky having a salad, but one of our travelmates has had two and is still okay, so I took a chance. It was so nice to have a fresh salad.

I've included some videos from the day I met MaryAlice and one from tonight. It takes awhile to upload the videos to YouTube, so I only added two for now. It is amazing to watch how scared MaryAlice was how much she has come out of her shell in 24 hours. She is so close to walking, that I bet we'll have that skill checked off by the time we get home. She can stand on her own if her legs are spread. In the video, she looks like a crab! For some reason the second half of the walking video didn't upload...no worries...her head plant on the cabinet didn't phase her! She is strong! Changing her diaper while she squirms is an Olympic event! Trying to hold her feet up with one hand, while I position the diaper with the other hand is tricky to say the least!!

That's it for tonight. Tomorrow we go to a park in Guangzhou for a couple of hours and then have the afternoon to ourselves.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is so adorable! I have fallen in love with her from the pictures alone, so I cannot imagine how you must feel!

10:00 AM  
Blogger wendy said...

Love the video! I am jealous she slept for 12 hours! I was excited Jake did 4 last night. :)
Sounds like she is adjusting well and you are all having a good time. You'll be home soon!

10:40 AM  
Blogger the mommy said...

Oh Sharon Mary Alice looks like she is doing wonderful. Glad you are having a great time.....

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the thought of Mary Alice babbling with the other baby like two little old Chinese ladies. :)

12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been waiting for your updated post! She is really adjusting well! How exciting to finally have her in your arms. Love the smile with the 2 teeth! Keep the pics and updates coming. I can't get enough! (This is weird for me not getting enough of babies! Just ask Marcia!).

12:12 PM  
Blogger mskajlc said...

She is so freakin cute!!

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Olymipcs are in Her future! Be it floor gymastics or parrellbars. She is an Angel. ACL

1:30 PM  
Blogger The Gang's Momma! said...

So cute - I love those happy little thighs :)

Glad to hear you are all adjusting.

So spill: what is one thing you wished you had left home? what is one thing you wished you had (or had more of)?

Packing now :)

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is so cute! Glad to hear that the Cheerios are working and most of all, glad to hear that things are going so well. Have a great time with your daughter and a safe trip back!

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG I CAN'T WORK I MUST KEEP LOOKING AT YOUR BLOG I AM SO IN LOVE WITH HER ALREADY. I COULD NOT BE ANY HAPPIER FOR YOU TWO. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT TOMORROW BRINGS. ENJOY!!!!

2:42 PM  
Blogger Sally said...

Finally I am able to leave a comment thanks to someone at work!
How CUTE is she????? I get such a kick out looking at the pictures and love reading about the two of you together. So Sharon, I know you get home really late on the 11th and will be exhausted and jet lagged, but I don't work the next day. Can I come over if I promise to bring food? Happy Birthday to Mary Alice! Tomorrow, right? Can't wait to see that picture!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

Sharon,
MaryAlice is spectacular! I love her little crab walk! Her little cheeks just look so kissable, not to mention those little chubby thighs! She is truly a dream come true! I am so happy for you!
Love,
:)Di

3:38 PM  
Blogger Trudi said...

Sharon, Mary Alice is absolutely gorgeous! I don't know if you can tell it, but the pictures between yesterday and today are telling! She is SO HAPPY NOW! It brings tears to my eyes. Congrats.

5:17 PM  
Blogger allan k said...

She is sooo beautiful. Enjoy. It don't get any better than this.

6:30 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Sharon ...we are watching and giggling and loving every minute. MaryAlice is pretty awesome and so are you.

Huge hugs from Florida ....Lori & Andy

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Beijing, China

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
Free Counters
Free Counters