Journey To MaryAlice

Join me as I journey to China to find my daughter, Mary Alice.

Saturday, October 14, 2006

Autumn Moon Festival...A Little Late


In an attempt to experience and learn some Chinese culture, I ventured down to the local Asian market, Dong-A-Market. After wandering aimlessly around, I asked the checkout girl about mooncakes. She showed me tables stacked with all sorts of variations of the mooncake. I selected the Mixed Nut and Lotus Seed Paste ones.

I won't go into too much detail about the tradition of mooncakes other than to say they are eaten on the night of the Full Moon in the Eighth Lunar Month...October 6th this year. On this night, the tradition is to eat mooncakes, observe the full moon, write your wishes on a piece of paper and burn the wish. The idea is that other loved ones are looking at the same moon and thinking of you. Or at least that's a simple version. There's a whole long story about the tradtion, etc that I won't get into.

Anywho, the topic at hand is this Mixed Nut Mooncake. You're looking at about as much as I could eat. It looks like dogfood in pastry and tastes like it too. Think Christmas Fruit Cake. Does anyone eat Christmas Fruit Cake??? Point made.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

That would require substantial funds. Fortunately, I believe the mooncakes are only available once a year. I did forget to mention that there were hard boiled egg yolks in the lotus seed paste one!! Yum!

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Beijing, China

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
Free Counters
Free Counters